Instant Pot Pork Bone Soup (Gamjatang)
Recipe adapted from www.maangchi.com.
Servings: 4 servings
Pork Bone Broth
- 2.5-3 pounds of pork neck bones
- 1 oz ginger sliced
- 2 tablespoons doenjang (Korean soybean paste)
- 1 medium onion sliced
- 1 tablespoon dried chili flakes
- 6 cups water
- 12 oz napa cabbage sliced lengthwise
- 3 medium potatoes peeled and quartered
- 8 oz soybean sprouts washed and strained
- 4 shitake mushrooms (dried or fresh) sliced
- 4 green onions washed and cut 2in long
- 1 green onion chopped for garnish
- 8 perilla leaves washed
- 6 garlic cloves minced
- 3 tablespoons gochugaru (Korean hot pepper flakes)
- 1 tablespoon gochujang (Korean hot pepper paste)
- 3 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1/4 cup deulkkae-garu (perilla seeds flour)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup water
Soak pork bones for a minimum of 30 mins. 3-4 hours is recommended with a few water changes.
If using dried shitake mushrooms, remove the stems and soak for a minimum 30 minutes to overnight.
Bring a pot of water to a boil. Blanch the pork bones for 7 minutes.
Strain the bones and rinse each bone under cold water. Place the bones into the Instant Pot. Optional: Saute the bones until browned for more flavour.
Add in ginger, doenjang (Korean soybean paste), sliced shitake mushrooms, onion, dried chili flakes, and water until ingredients are just covered (about 6 cups).
Pressure cook on Manual at high pressure for 30 minutes. Natural release for 20 minutes.
While the broth is cooking, make the seasoning paste. Combine garlic, gochugaru (Korean hot pepper flakes), gochujang (Korean hot pepper paste), fish sauce, perilla seeds flour, ground black pepper and 1/4 cup water. Stir to combine.
Add potatoes, bean sprouts, napa cabbage, green onions and the seasoning paste to the pot.
Pressure cook on Manual at high pressure for 5 minutes. Immediately quick release.
Add the perilla leaves and stir. Serve with chopped green onion as garnish.